The rapid growth of big data as a new category of "must have" solutions is hard to refute. Airport walls are now adorned with billboards selling the virtues of big data and almost every major IT provider has jumped onto the bandwagon to offer, or re-position, its products for this market. Case in point - I recently attended the Hadoop Summit and almost every major brand spoke about how it is leveraging and/or delivering big data solutions. Also, most of our customers are telling me that managing and harnessing their data assets are critical to the success of their companies.
The availability, accessibility and volume of data are growing exponentially while technical problems and business use cases are becoming more complex. Fortunately for companies, with these new technology solutions all data can more easily be visualized and analyzed in real-time and a paradigm for correlating and integrating information to create new insights is much more accessible.
Big data solutions allow customers to use their data to do even more powerful things than analyzing and modeling large volumes of information. These solutions allow all data types, including structured and unstructured, to be assessed and analyzed in new and unique ways. Equally important is the integration of legacy systems with social media data. Combining these solutions with virtualization and the cloud benefits can empower just about everyone in the business to affordably analyze large amounts of multi-structured data. For instance, big data solutions:
- Enable organizations to assess structured and unstructured data in their raw form and without the need to pre-model
- Remove the boundaries on what information can be analyzed
- Shorten the time-to-insight, especially as new data sources are added
- Improve the effectiveness of marketing and promotional campaigns by helping companies refine pricing models and lower overall customer acquisition costs
- Construct a complete picture of a company's customer to ensure the right message and products are being pitched to the best audience
- Combine transactional sales data with unstructured comments (e.g., product reviews) to provide insight into purchase behavior
- And much more
Given our customers' needs, we too are expanding our solutions to include big data capabilities. Recently Savvis entered a strategic agreement with Hortonworks, a leading commercial vendor providing innovation, development and support of Apache Hadoop. This agreement enables Savvis to offer cloud-based big data solutions for enterprises and provide customers with a way use our infrastructure with Hadoop to create valuable information through the searching, indexing and analyzing of sizeable quantities of information assembled from multiple sources.
What are you hoping to do with big data in your company? In subsequent blog posts, we will dig deeper into how cloud solutions can help with your data requirements.
Steve Garrou is vice president, global solutions management, at Savvis, a CenturyLink company.